The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute are teaming up with Orkney College for an Open Day on the 8th December 2017.
- Venue: The Archaeology Institute, Orkney College UHI, East Road, Kirkwall KW15 1LX
- Date: Friday 8th December 2017
- Time: 1 pm to 5.00 pm
The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute is located in one of the most exciting archaeology areas in the world – Orkney in Northern Scotland. Surrounded by thousands of archaeology sites ranging from the Neolithic to World War 2, the Archaeology Institute is well placed as a world-class teaching and research organisation to advance our understanding of the historic environment.
So, come along and experience hands on archaeology at our open day, talk to staff and students and discover what studying Archaeology at The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute has to offer. You will also have the opportunity to take part in workshops on aspects of practical archaeology, including
- using microscopes to analyse pollen and charcoal unearthed at the Ness of Brodgar
- examining finds from The Cairns excavation
- exploring 4000 year old ceramics
- examining the whale bones unearthed at Cata Sands
- creating a 3D image from a laser scanner
You will also see how we use the unique archaeological landscape of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland to further your studies. The event is open to anyone who is considering studying Archaeology at undergraduate or post graduate level in addition to anyone who is considering one of our short courses.
Check out our website for all our archaeology courses.
If you wish to attend then please contact Mary on 01856 569225, send us a message on our Facebook page , send us a message through Twitter @UHIArachaeology or e-mail Mary at email@example.com.