Each year we receive requests from young people around the world to volunteer at our summer archaeology digs in addition to the many students who work with us.
Dan Lee, Lifelong Learning & Outreach Archaeologist The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute, has been working with the Orkney Community Learning and Development team to formulate an exciting archaeology programme tailored to these young people.
The calendar of events forms part of the Year of Young People programme, aimed at inspiring Scotland through its young people – celebrating their achievements and valuing their contribution to communities, and creating new opportunities for them to shine locally, nationally and globally.
We now have the largest number of young people volunteering at our excavations than at any time in the last ten years – whether as students from the University of the Highlands and Islands, other national and international universities, voluntary organisations, pupils from local schools or young people interested in archaeology living in Orkney and further afield.
- 18th June – 13th July. The Cairns Excavations, Windwick, South Ronaldsay
- 4th July – 22nd August. The Ness of Brodgar, Stenness
- 6th July. The Cairns Open Day
- 7th July – 4th August. Cata Sand Excavations, Tresness and Loth Road, Sanday
- 9th July – 22nd July. Skaill Farmstead Excavations, Westness, Rousay
- 15th July. Ness of Brodgar Open Day
- 21st & 22nd July. Skaill Farmstead Open Weekend, Westness, Rousay
- 24th & 31st July. Ness of Brodgar. Digging Up The Past workshops. Booking if required for this event. Book here.
- 7th & 14th August. Ness of Brodgar Digging Up The Past workshops. . Booking if required for this event. Book here.
- 19th August. Ness of Brodgar Open Day
The full Orkney calendar of events is available here….
If you wish to attend any events as a young (or not so young) person then drop us a line at email@example.com