The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute held the inaugural ‘Our Islands, Our Past’ Conference in Orkney over the weekend of 14th to 17th September 2017 and we would just like to say thank you to all those people who made the event such a success.
So, firstly, a big shout out for all the delegates that travelled from around the world to be present at our conference. And of course those delegates who gave so many interesting and stimulating papers that contributed so much to the ‘Our Islands, Our Past’ theme. And the Chairs who kept us all in order….
Also a big thank you to the organisations that supported us including Orkney College UHI, Orkney Islands Council, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Shetland Amenity Trust, ScARF and Historic Environment Scotland.
And the traders and others that gave up a weekend to support us………please click on the website links and help them in turn…
- Artworks of the Earth – what a great display of art that added colour to the foyer
- John Rae Society – who at short notice put together a great stand
- Stromness Bookshop – thank you so much for putting together a display of brilliant and relevant books from stock
- CHERISH – great to talk to you about the project and many thanks for putting together an exhibition stand and giveaways.
- Orkney Archaeology Society – once again thank you to Hayley and George for putting together and manning the OAS exhibition stand. Check out their website for another chance to buy an Orkney Archaeology Review.
- Brodgar Chocolates – added Brodgar shaped chocolate to the whole event!
- BAR Publishing – thank you for both supplying books for sale, lots of goodies for the conference packs and supporting our student conference.
- Archaeopress – once again thank you for your support and supplying titles for the front of house display
- Oxbow Books – thank you for the conference pack material
And those who made the food for the occasion so memorable….
- Orkney College Hospitality Department – the food and drink was just awesome in quality and quantity
- Palace Stores, Palace Village Birsay – everyone on the conference fieldtrip was amazed at the selection of Orkney food on offer in the platter you made up for us. Presented brilliantly with descriptions of each food item and where they came from in Orkney. Just wow!
And a special shout out for Norrie Rendall at Orkney Theatre….nothing was too much trouble, both in and out of the theatre.
And Barony Mills for opening up and making a Victorian Watermill come to life.
And of course the volunteers who gave up their weekend….Jim Bright, Julie Ritch, Therese McCormick, Magdalena Blanz, Siobhan Cooke, Jasmin Sybenga, Frank Forrester, Rick Barton, Darroch Bratt…..without whom the conference would not have happened.
And Mary Connolly, Kat Fryer and Ros Aitken of the Conference Organising Team….And the Conference Committee who set the theme and selected the papers and the multitude of other tasks that a conference demands.
If I have missed anyone out then please excuse me…and then e-mail me.