The University of the Highlands and Islands Archaeology Institute are now enrolling students for the ‘Introduction to Archaeology’ Evening Class to be held at Orkney College, Kirkwall, Orkney in February 2018.
- Venue: Orkney College, University of the Highlands and Islands, East Road, Kirkwall.
- Course length: 10 weeks (2 hour sessions)
- Commences: 21 February 2018
- Time: 7-9pm on Wednesday evenings at Orkney College (fieldtrips 6-8pm). The archive session is on a Thursday 5-7pm to make use of late opening at Orkney Library & Archive.
- Course fee: £100
This new course, taught by leading practitioners and lecturers at the UHI Archaeology Institute, introduces the basic theory, methods and practice used in Archaeology.
Key areas covered include an introductory overview, basic research, chronology, environmental archaeology, landscape archaeology, finds, geophysics and excavation.
The aim is to provide an over-view of archaeology and archaeological practice for general knowledge and volunteering. The classes are workshop-based, hands-on and thematic, delivered in a relaxed and friendly environment.
- 21 February: Introduction to Archaeology (Martin Carruthers)
- 28 February: Animal bones (Dr Ingrid Mainland)
- 8 March: Archives and archive research. Meet at Orkney Library & Archive, Archives room. (Dr Sarah Jane Gibbon) (5-7pm)
- 14 March: Landscape archaeology, geophysics & aerial photographs (Dr James Moore & Amanda Brend)
- 21 March: Research: Orkney Sites and Monuments Record Office and National Monument Record of Scotland (Julie Gibson & Dan Lee)
- 28 March: Environmental Archaeology (Dr Scott Timpany)
EASTER HOLIDAY – no classes (college holidays 2 – 13 April inclusive)
- 18 April: Digital Heritage (Dr Jen Harland & Crane Begg)
- 25 April: Artefacts and drawing (Martin Carruthers & Crane Begg)
- 2 May: Fieldtrip 1 (Landscape and Orkney World Heritage Site) (6-8pm)
- 9 May: Fieldtrip 2 (Buildings & wartime) (6-8pm)
The timetable may be subject to change.
This course is not networked or available online as it is workshop based.
If you are interested in attending please contact Tina Brown Tina.Brown@uhi.ac.uk or Telephone Tina directly on 01856 569206 or through the Orkney College switchboard on 01856 569000.