Orkney Islands Council’s annual archaeological grant has re-opened for applications, with a deadline of November 30, 2023.
The £40,000 grant scheme offers assistance to archaeology projects in Orkney, £20,000 of which is ring-fenced for work in the county’s outer isles.
Councillors on the OIC’s development committee will consider the applications in early 2024.
For details on how to apply contact the OIC economic development department on (01856) 873535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Six applications were approved in 2023:
- Ness of Brodgar Excavations.
- The Cairns / Windwick Bay Archaeological Field Project.
- ORCA – Improving access to Orkney SMR aerial photographs (Orkney Mainland and South Isles)
- Swandro 2023 (part of Orkney Gateway to the Atlantic: Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre: An Archaeological Study of Resource Exploitation, Sustainability and Resilience from the Neolithic to the Late Norse).
- Skaill farm excavation (Landscapes of Change: Archaeologies of the Rousay Clearances and the Westness estate).
- Blomar, Holm: Excavation of Neolithic chambered cairn.