|Type:||Round cairn. Stalled chamber.|
|Notes:||Although greatly disturbed, in the early 20th century this structure was considered to be a short horned cairn with projecting horns to the north-west, north-east, south-west and south-east.|
At the time the round cairn had a diameter of c.14 metres and survived to c1.22 metres. It had been dug into at the centre, exposing four pairs of divisional orthostats for a stalled chamber oriented ENE-WSW. The rectangular chamber was at least 4.5 metres long.
What appeared to be the remains of an entrance passage were recorded in 1928. Evidence of this, however, is long gone and has since been suggested to be the result of historical digging into the mound.
By the 1980s only two of the proposed horns could be seen and, given the disturbance around the structure, these were questioned.
The south-western “horn” was proposed to be the dumped material from the earlier exploration of the mound. The north-eastern “horn” was perhaps part of an old enclosure associated with midden material recorded at the cairn’s south-eastern end.
It now seems more likely the structure was an Orkney-Cromarty stalled chamber within a round cairn.
|References:||Davidson, J. L. & Henshall, A. S. (1989). The Chambered Cairns of Orkney. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.|
Tombs of the Isles - Faray