Knowe of Lingro, Rousay

Tombs of the Isles - Knowe of Lingro, Rousay.
The Knowe of Lingro from the east, circa 1928.
The Knowe of Lingro from the east, circa 1928.
Type:Orkney-Cromarty.
Rectangular cairn.
Stalled chamber.
Location:Map
Notes:Situated on a gently sloping, north-facing hillside c0.8km to the south of the Loch of Wasbister.

Measuring 21.5 by 12.5m in 1982, the rectangular cairn is orientated roughly west-east and had well-defined edges to a height of c0.5m [1].

Although the structure has not been excavated, it appeared to have been dug into, leaving a hollow about 3m wide and 0.5m deep along the centre of the mound. This “exploration” exposed divisional slabs from a probable stalled chamber with at least five compartments.

Neither end of the chamber has been exposed so it is not clear where the entrance passage is situated.

References
[1] Davidson, J. L. & Henshall, A. S. (1989). The Chambered Cairns of Orkney. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Links:Canmore
The Knowe of Lingro, Rousay.
(Davidson, J. L. & Henshall, A. S. (1989). The Chambered Cairns of Orkney)